Friday, January 12, 2007

Getting To L.A.

Hello! I'm writing from Burbank, California tonight as one weary traveler who's about to go to the Xena Convention Cabaret festivities, so this will be quick. I'm running off of 2.5 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours!

After landing at LAX, we went to Venice Beach where I put my hands in the Pacific Ocean for the first time in my life. Took photos and all, but I need some little wire I don't have to connect from the camera to the USB port on this hotel computer. Fortunately, there's a HUGE electronics store across the street which I'll visit tomorrow, and hopefully they can help me get some pictures to you!

It's cold here but it was sunny and beautiful today! You could see the Santa Monica Mountains (I think that's what they're called) and the Hollywood Hills free and clear without smog or anything which Mallory tells me is quite unusual. And as we were driving along today, boom, there was that famous HOLLYWOOD sign on the side of the hills. Really cool!

After Venice Beach, we headed toward The Roxy on the Sunset Strip to get a photo of the marquis listing the Lucy Lawless concert. It wasn't on the big overhead marquis, but I did get a photo of the marquis on the side of the building along with her poster on the outside. Will hopefully post that tomorrow once acquiring said wire thingy I need!

All these travels around the city covered about 26-miles between LAX and Burbank, but OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The traffic here is absolute T O R T U R E. Give me Atlanta traffic anyday. I will NOT complain! Just going four miles at one point took almost an hour, and it wasn't even rush hour traffic! Anyway, enough said on that subject.

Because of this longer than normal travel time, we missed a little bit of the beginning of the days festivities. We arrived in time to hear Steve Sears and Robert Trebor speak. Zoe Bell was supposed to speak, but she got the dates mixed-up and was up in Northern California filming on a Quentin Tarantino film.

Everything we heard was wonderful. Great questions from the fans. Excellent responses from Steve and Robert. Of the two, I really enjoyed hearing Steve speak.

Steve talked about how he thought the true hero of the show Xena: Warrior Princess was really Gabrielle, played by Renee O'Connor. His reasoning was that Xena, played by Lucy Lawless, came from a place of darkness and just began to follow what was truly in her heart and it was good which moved her toward the light.

She (Xena) knew she could never redeem herself. She could only follow her heart which she did. However, Gabrielle chose to step out of the light in her peaceful, naive, and boring life in Potaedia and go into the darkness, touching into that darkness throughout all her travels and journeys with Xena along the way.

Making the choice to step out of the light into the dark and still retain her sense of self took much more strength of character and is truly what being a hero is about. Anyway...it was just something that makes you go "hmmmmm" as my brother would say.

I need to run for now, but perhaps after a good night's sleep and a fresh start to the day, I'll be able to write more clearly about what it's like being here amidst all this energy. I'm still processing it but all the cylinders aren't firing together right now!

Signed,
Very, very, very sleep deprived in Burbank!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Debbie, Thanks SO much for blogging from Burbank. Can't wait to see the photos!!! Interesting to hear what Steven had to say.

Mel R said...

Good to hear you are sleep deprived!!..I expect nothing less from someone at the con, Debbie...you can sleep lots of other times!!...looking forward to the full news of Steven et al.. Good Job, my friend. Link posted to the groups as promised! Love Mel