Thursday, January 11, 2007

L.A. Baby!!!!!!




In less than 12 hours I'll be on my way to Los Angeles, CA for the first time in my life. Woo hooo!!! I'm "dragging" my friend Mallory along with me to the 12th annual Xena Convention out in Burbank, and we're going to the Lucy Lawless debut concert.

After Lucy's run this fall on the television show Celebrity Duets, she's been itching to get back up on stage again to sing, and she decided to do it in conjunction with the Xena Con so that her ever-faithful fans could participate.

I hadn't planned on flying all the way across the country to participate in this until the night of November 30th when I decided I wanted to do something fun, and taking this trip was the "something fun". Mal didn't even know she was going until she got back from Christmas with her family.

Ahhhhh...the journey of showing up and learning to go where life flows as it unfolds from one thing to the next. I honestly don't know how else to live my life other than that now.

I thought I would leave you with some posts I made to the Lucy Lawless Yahoo Group this fall as we all participated in her run on Celebrity Duets because I think my words speak to why I decided I couldn't NOT make this trip. There's something about being there at this moment in time that seems totally and completely mine to do. I've not a clue why. I only know I'm going to follow it to wherever it leads. And I hope I'll be able to post here over the weekend and take you all along with me, at least vicariously thru my writing! If not this weekend, definitely when I get back home.

So...until then here's two posts I made to the Yahoo Group. The first was a couple of weeks into the show, and the last was right after Lucy came in second on the finale show. Keep in mind, I'm not a reality tv show, singing competition show kinda gal AT ALL, but my participation in this particular one served me well! Enjoy!

Post # 1:

--- In officiallucylawlessfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "hikingisfun19" wrote:

Hi everyone!

Besides being a Xena & Lucy Lawless fan, I've been pondering why I have sat on my couch for the past two Thursday nights and called a phone number over and over and over and over again, using two phones no less. Two months ago, it would have never occurred to me as something I would even be remotely interested in doing. Period. No matter what charity or person it was for.

As I've sat with that question and as I continue to participate in this continually evolving experience, the word that keeps popping up is empowerment. At a time in our world when so much feels out of control on a global scale, I find myself having the time of my life seeing how many times and how many ways I can dial a phone number with my bare hands in a two hour period of time. And then comes the nerve-wracking wait to see the results of said dialing.

In between we all get to see the raw, backstage footage of Lucy's take on the whole experience. So there's the televised performance the world sees, the inside scoop from the dressing room we are privy to, and then each of us individually doing our part to move this whole thing forward as we dial-away, one phone call at a time.

We place our own meaning and reaons on why we dial, which is unique and different to each of us. And yet, collectively we (the world, Lucy, and all of us fans) are unfolding something together that leaves me feeling incredibly empowered.

To be able to sit in my living room on a Friday night and see the results of me calling a phone number played out on national television in real time is quite a power trip---in a good way. The underlying sense that I, as an individual, and us, as a group, are making a difference and having an impact is an amazing feeling. Empowerment done the right way can change the world. Seems there was a television show that said something similar in its intro!

In my life experience as I have expanded and grown, I find going back to who I was before to be impossible. It's like outgrowing a favorite piece of clothing as a child. You are sad you have to let it go until you realize all the new possibilities now available to you.

Celebrity Duets will come to an end soon, but I venture to guess that the expansion and growth we have all gone through by participating in this adventure with Lucy will have left us different people. What will we do individually and collectively with our newfound experiences of empowerment? How can we take something as seemingly silly as our somewhat indirect involvement in a nationally televised singing competition and begin to impact our world---individually, collectively, globally, and universally?

Just some things I've been thinking about that I wanted to share with all of you.

Happy Sunday!!

Debbie :-)


Post # 2:

--- In officiallucylawlessfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "hikingisfun19" wrote:

Hi all!

I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed experiencing the journey of Celebrity Duets with you. Thought I would share something I just posted to Twink's petition for Lucy. The petition link, if you want to sign it is:


I just signed it and was # 678. Anyway, here's my very long rambling. Thanks for letting me journey along with you in this!!!

"WOW.........what a ride this has been for all of us! I'm not sure where to start except to say THANK YOU for taking us on this journey with you!!! That's what it's been about for all of us---the journey. Never in a million years would I have guessed I needed to make this journey with you and everyone else, but I think it has served us all well and in ways that will continue to unfold for each of us in the weeks, months, and years ahead. To experience the interconnectedness of everyone working together, from all your preparation for performances to the actual performances to the backstage video clips from Sharon to the two-hour Thursday night dialing sessions to reading all the Yahoo Group posts and discussions to watching the results show to reading your post-performance blogging and then doing it all over again the next week. It has been a phenomenal learning experience for me. But more than that, it has opened up within me a knowing that as yet I had been unable to embody. I've known it in my head, but I hadn't been able to embrace and own it as mine until I sat watching and participating in the finale of Celebrity Duets tonight. They say the only way consciousness can expand is through form, which I get completely. But it has been through participating in the whole wild ride of Celebrity Duets with you and everyone else that I've opened to the idea of my own form (my body, my life, my presence, etc.) being a vehicle through which consciousness can expand. Watching you share your light, life, joy, challenges, weariness, and talent with the world in your own amazing, beautiful form that is Lucy Lawless, and then watching the results of that play out on national television each week, while experiencing it all myself, caused me to wonder what sharing my light, life, joy and talents with the world might look like. Better yet is the idea of what might the world look like if we all found the courage to let our own individual lights shine as we move out into our own spheres of influence. We may not have a nationally televised stage to show up on each week, but we do have living, breathing families and communities to show up in each day. And I can't think of a better place to start than right there! Our courage will change the world!!! Once again thank you for embodying that for us so that we could pick it up from this new place of experience and begin infiltrating our worlds in ways that fit and serve us and everyone else best. YOU ROCK, Lucy!! Thanks again for absolutely everything, but most of all for just being the real, authentic, sincere you that you are!!! Now, get some rest....lots of it!!!! :-)"

Have a great weekend everybody!! And we should all get some rest, too, especially all our international voting friends. You guys rock!! My favorite voting memory was the one made from Hong Kong whilst sitting on the toilet!! :-)

Happy Friday!!

Debbie :-)

No comments: